Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cassidy's Notes on Hefei and Dingyuan

The following is a special post from Cassidy. She has written these words and told me that she wanted to share the happenings of the last two days with her friends at home.

FROM CASSIDY...
We are in Hefei city because this is close to where I was born and this is where I was adopted by my mom. We had fun going to the hotel where that happened - the Novotel. We visited the ballroom where my mom saw me for the first time. The bench where I sat as a baby is all gone, so here I am sitting on the floor in the same spot! (And with my mom and nanny.)


Yesterday we went power shopping - because we were buying lots of stuff for the kids in the orphanage where I used to live. We went with our friends Anne Marie and Julia - Julia is from the same orphanage as me - Dingyuan.

We grabbed two shopping carts and first we went to the baby section for clothes.
We bought shoes, sleepers, tops, and pants and hats. Then we went to the toy section and bought rattles, musical instruments, blocks and dinosaurs. For the older kids we bought basketball, soccerball, games, skipping ropes, paper, pencils, markers,and candy. Here's some pictures of us shopping...
...and everything we brought back to the hotel to pack up!

Then today was the big day where we visited Dingyuan orphanage with some of my friends who come from there too.

Inside the white building, we got to see really little babies sleeping...

...and then older babies that we got to play with. But when we first got to their room, some of them were afraid and started to cry. But we talked quietly and didn't run - we didn't come in stampedes.

The little boy I spent most of my time with was in his crib and may have had a fever. He didn't seem to notice me until I touched his hand through the bars of the crib. Then he laughed. We found out later that he is blind and he has Downs' Syndrome but he loved me and having people near him. Can you see his smile in these pictures?



The orphanage director gave us little presents after our visit and took us out for lunch. Here's some more pictures!





It was an excellent day!

13 comments:

Jane and John said...

Cassidy - that was a great blog about your day! Thank you for sharing it with us. You like very pretty and grown up in your pink sweater.

Glad to see you are all enjoying your trip. See you soon.

Jan said...

Love, love, love this post -- great job, Cassidy!!
Thank you for sharing your special day with us!

The pictures of the little boy made me smile - and I love the one of you and your mom.

What a special day!

Love you all...

mosey (kim) said...

Your Auntie Kim was honoured to share such a special day with you, Cassidy.

The Maini's said...

Cassidy, that was a great blog of the kids in the orphanage especially the little boy that you spent most of your day with that was really sweet!

Have lots more fun!

Olivia and Family!

The Maini's said...

Cassidy, thanks for sharing your story. It was wonderful to hear about the first time your mom met you at the hotel. What a journey you are all having. It was nice to see you share toy with the children at the orphanage.

Bryanna, Olivia has had fun following you on this trip. She has come home everyday anticipating your travels of the day. (Me too).

Leanne, thanks so much for sharing such a big part of you life with us. It has been a pleasure!!

Have a safe journey home in a few days.

Heather (Olivia's Mom)

Shauna and MacLean said...

what a wonderful account of such a special day. thanks for sharing it with us Cassidy. Great pics and so nice to see the wee boy with Down's Syndrome it brought back memories of our time at a special home! Great trip!

Alison said...

Great job Cassidy! Wow, you just may have a future in journalism....excuse me while I go find the kleenex!

Anne Marie and Julia Devine said...

It was a wonderful day to share with you Cassidy -- I still can't believe you and Julia are as old and as wise as you are sometimes...

I'm hoping that this is a day you carry in your hearts forever. I know I will.

Anonymous said...

Cassidy,

What a special day. Thank you for sharing this part of your journey with us. Precious moments, for sure.

Enjoy Shanghai. I can't believe all the adventures you've had in such a short period of time.

Safe travels,

Jane, Steve, H, S, Q

Anonymous said...

Dear Cassidy and family,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us today. The Woodburns look forward to reading your posts every day and this one was extra special. Love you all :)

Donna Paonessa said...

Hi Cassidy ... I loved reading about your visit to the orphanage that cared for you until you met your Mom. Thank you so much for sharing with everyone! The gifts that you took to the orphanage were fantastic ... excellent shopping! Enjoy the last couple of days in your homeland!

Miss A said...

Great blog, Cassidy! I'm so glad you have gotten to visit such a special place for you and your family. I can't wait for you to tell me more when you get back! Travel safe!

Tanaya said...

So sweet! I have tears in my eyes as I type this. Can't wait to see the girls again soon!